My First Marathon

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Week #10 - Day 1

Well, here it is. The first double digit week number. Hard to believe it's been 4 months since my first run on the towpath. Today I took a rare stray away from the towpath and headed out to the Metroparks in Strongsville with Kristy. She took her bike and headed off down the trail while I settled in to do my 5 miles. It was very convenient that they had a half-mile marker right where I started, so I was able to do 2.5 miles and turn around instead of doing 3 out and 2 back and walking 1. It is an all-paved path and was very busy with bikers and occasionally got too close to the street for my comfort, but it was a nice change of pace. I might add it to the mix during these last few weeks.
Finished the 5 mile run in 44:40 (an 8:56 mile pace). This is slightly slower than the time I had 6 weeks ago! When I first started training, I was amazed to see the improvement, yet in the last month I seem to have peaked out and almost even slowed down a bit. It might be a sign of overtraining and my body is just getting worn out. Hopefully it is a temporary plateau and I can soon get back to cutting my times. Next run is an 8 miler that will probably be for Thursday.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Brad! My name is also Brad and will be running my first marathon in December. I'm in week #11 of my training. The difference is that my training is 26 weeks. Crazy, I know! This past Saturday I finished my longest long run to date, 14 miles. Quite amazing when 4 and 5 miles doesn't seem so long! :)

    By Blogger Brad, at 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home