My First Marathon

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Week #2 - Day 4 (a 10k race)

Today I took part in my first organized race, A Most Excellent Race in Cleveland Heights which benefits the Achievement Centers for Children. I participated in the 10k, and am glad to report that I actually managed to run the entire thing. Despite being in the morning (it started at 9am), it was sunny and hot, and there was not even a hint of a breeze. When I got back in my car after the race, it read 88 for the outdoor temperature. So running conditions were not too pleasant.

The course itself was pretty good. They had a number of streets blocked off, so it was pretty cool to run down the middle of these otherwise busy streets. I think there were about 3 much-needed water breaks along the way, and I managed to keep my pace and drink at the same time. I had been a little nervous about that part going into it. My only major complaint was the fact that it started on a fairly good incline (and finished on one too).

As for my time, I finished in 1:00:59. I had hoped to finish under an hour, but given the conditions I am content. I overheard a number of other people mention how bad their times were. So my pace was about 9:49. I felt pretty good most of the race, though I was getting pretty warm during the last 2 miles. Also, during the 5th mile I started to get a bit of a cramp in my lower left leg and had to ease up a bit. Fortunately though it did not force me to walk. I passed quite a few people during the second half of the race, which can be a bit of a morale booster. I started near the back at the beginning so I didn't have to get down on the fact that bunches of people were passing me.

So I experienced my first organized race today, which should make things with the marathon a lot more comfortable. Also, I eclipsed the one hour of straight running mark, which would have been a shock if someone had told me six months ago that I could do that. Planning to relax today and tomorrow and get started on week 3 on Tuesday. It is going to be another 3-4-3 week with a 7 miler on the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home