My First Marathon

Monday, July 25, 2005

Week #7 - Day 1

Began the week with a 4 mile run in the tropical conditions which have overtaken NE Ohio. The dewpoint was something ridiculous today, and made it feel like a sauna even when it was cloudy. But, I have a schedule to keep to, so I did my run. Went north on towpath. Finished in 34:16 (8:34 mile pace), which is just a few seconds slower than my last two four milers. Not exactly the improvement I was looking for, but given the conditions I feel pretty good about it.

I did wear the heart rate monitor today, though I didn't really follow it too closely. The first mile I think I stayed below 80, but it slowly crept up throughout the run. I did some hard sprinting at the end of the run and saw my heart rate peak at 98%, so I wonder if my rate is a bit on the higher side of my "estimated" max of 194. They say you should flat-out sprint as hard as possible for 3 minutes, but I was only doing so for a minute before I peaked that high. I really need to try to measure my resting heart rate sometime, but it is not too often that I wake up "naturally" (without the help of an alarm) these days. Maybe next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home