My First Marathon

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Week #13 - Day 3

The last scheduled high mileage "long run" ended up being not-so-high mileage. I started off well, probably too well, finishing the first 5 miles in under 45 minutes. During the 6th mile, I started feeling a little worn out, and it only got worse. I finished mile 11 in 1:44:56 (9:32 mile pace) and stopped. My legs felt like they could not go anymore, so I walked back the last mile to where I had started. I was very disappointed with my performance, but it actually felt more physical than mental this time. I've gotten tired before on the long runs, but I've never really encountered this "dead legs" feeling. And unfortunately I'm sort of new to all of this so I'm not exactly sure what the cause if it is. It may be having missed a run earlier in the week, or maybe just a culmination of the wear and tear on my body for 13 weeks of training. Whatever it is, I hope it goes away soon. The marathon is 20 days away and I have my first half-marathon a week from today. I'm thinking of trying to get back to 3 training runs this week before the half-marathon, and just keep the mileage down to something more reasonable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home