My First Marathon

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Week #14 - Day 1

Started the week off with a nice, short 5 mile run after work today. The temperature was in the upper 80s today, very unseasonable for Cleveland this time of year as it should be in the low 70s. But I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be missing days like this. I headed north on the towpath and realize that might be something I need to avoid in the future. The towpath runs right next to water (an old canal) and there were a ton of fireflys flying all over the place. In certain areas it was almost swarm-like. But I managed to survive.

I tried to keep my pace pretty slow today, but still managed to finish in a good time of 45:53 (9:10 mile pace) thanks to a little sprint for the last tenth of a mile. The run started with some knee pain which is new for me. I've had knee pain for quite some time due to Ilitobial Band issues, but this was actual knee pain. Fortunately it did not last beyond the first mile (replaced by a mild case of the standard knee pain I'm used to). I think I'll be able to keep around this pace on Sunday, if not better as I do hope to finish in under 2 hours. I know, time goals are bad, but this is the half-marathon, not the real thing. I can't help it. I'm a naturally competitive person and it's nearly impossible for me mentally to go out there and not have some sort of goal to aim for. Plus it will really help determine if I think I can try to keep the same pace for the actual marathon.

1 Comments:

  • Hey there, my first time here. I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm a month or so behind you. I'll be checking on your progress...

    Just a word of warning: I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago, and had some problems with shin splints. Maybe I didn't rest enough, and maybe it was just from adding too many miles too fast. However, I think the half marathon was a big cause.

    When I train I usually run around a 9:50 - 10:00 pace. In the half marathon, which I wasn't trying to run so fast, I ended up with a 8:50 pace. (I guess I'm also a competitive person.) I think a 13.1 mile race is a lot different than a training run of 13.1 miles.

    So, I'm sorry for the long post. But I really don't want you to get hurt and blow your marathon with just 2 weeks to go. Ask some other more experienced people and see what they say...

    By Blogger Danny, at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home