My First Marathon

Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Marathon! (the short version)

Well, I made it. Finished the Akron Marathon this morning in 4 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds (4:07:49). Here are my split times. Finished right in the middle for my age group (male 25-29) at 27th out of 54 and overall I was 355th out of 786. I'm happy with my performance and it was an amazing experience. I had originally hoped for sub-4 hours, but that gives me a goal for my next marathon, right?

And when you read that "the last 6 miles of the marathon is the last half", that is totally true. I fell behind my 4 hour pace during mile 23 or 24 and it was a battle to not just walk it in. I was only momentarily disappointed, but I knew I was still on pace for a good time if I could get my act together.

Fortunately, I have no injuries to report of. I have a couple of nasty looking toes and just the faint beginnings of a blister on the inside bottom of my left foot. So I consider myself lucky. I started getting a cramp during mile 25 in my right calf (bad timing, I know) but it fortunately went away after a brief stretch and a bit of walking.

I would like to thank my girlfriend Kristy for waking up ridiculously early this morning and driving me down to Akron, cheering her heart out during the race, and being patient while I tried to recover and eventually make it back to the car. Without her support these past 5 months, I would not have been able to do any of this. So thank you Kristy!

I will try to right a more detailed account tomorrow. Hopefully I don't forget all of the details.

8 Comments:

  • congrats!!!!!

    can't wait to read more!

    By Blogger Danny, at 1:15 AM  

  • That is great. Congratulations. The time is great and you did a wonderful job. Smile :)

    By Blogger Hutch, at 2:17 AM  

  • Brad,

    Congrats on finishing Akron! I too ran the race and those last six...ugh! They were killing me, but that's part of Akron's charm! So the real question now is are you ready for Columbus? =) (In case you don't remember I am the crazy girl who likes to run both. =) Hope you aren't too sore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • Nice job to you also man. For me, this is the third year of running Akron and I finally was able to run what I was aiming for. I ran all my training long runs this time around on hilly courses and it seemed to have helped. Akron's a tough course and you should be commended on running your first marathon on it. On your next marathon, just increase your weekly mileage a little in your training, throw in a few hills, and you'll be surprised at what a difference it'll make.

    By Blogger Mike, at 6:59 PM  

  • Nice job! My wife and I just finished Chicago, clicking in at 4:20. Our goal for next year is also a sub-4.

    I would totally recommend Chicago, btw, if you want to run fast. It is flat, it is cool, and with 40,000 runners there is always someone to pass.

    Look forward to reading your race report.

    By Blogger Jason, at 9:25 AM  

  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congratulations! thats an amazing time, are you kidding? holy bejeesus! way to go! now rest up and write that race report!

    By Blogger a.maria, at 2:57 PM  

  • Well done Brad!

    Looks I am following your footsteps. My first half marathon has yet to start (is planned on March 12th) but after that..it is Marathon time!!

    But enough about me: Congratulations on this succes!!

    By Blogger Remco, at 10:01 AM  

  • It will be perhaps to http://www.facebook.com the point if we instance in the briefest way the means of dramatization which are at the disposal of the dream work for the repetition of the dream thoughts in the peculiar language of the dream...

    By Blogger alex, at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home